Sunday, December 25, 2016

My Sugar Plum Fairy

My mom was born on Christmas day. Considering her personality, this is very fitting. 

My mom is all sparkles and ribbon.
My mom decorates two Christmas trees every year, both of which are extremely tastefully decorated in a very, to use a word of her own, "matchamatic" way. One of these trees is blue-themed and therefore obviously cascades over neatly wraped blue and white presents like an icicle on one of those bright blue winter evenings. The other is red-themed and therefore shines like the bold stamp of approval you always hope my mom will place on everything from what you're wearing to what you're doing; you see, she has really good taste.

My mom makes everything beautiful. 
When I was in jr. high and high school, I would often hear girls complain about how their moms had "such bad taste" and how they hope their moms will just take them shopping for their birthday or Christmas rather than trying to pick out clothes to give them themselves. I, on the other hand, have always gone right to my mom for fashion advice. She knows way more than I do about how to be fashionable. She has the best taste. She is fashionable and in style, yet creative and artistic. You can always find her wearing classy bright colors and probably a broach of some sort if it's a particularly sparkly day. She decorates everything and everyone with a zest that is so unique and beautiful. She likes pretty things and makes everything and everyone feel beautiful. 

My mom makes every event and occasion so special and important. 
Ya know how in the movie "Elf" Buddy spends all night dolling up the department store with sparkles, ribbon and love to the point that it looks like a dream come true that only Santa Claus himself could have? She basically makes our house look like that at Christmastime. And if you come over for dinner at any time during the year, I guarantee the table will be all decked out with cute tablecloths and place settings. She makes everyday fun, but makes special occasions truly fun and memorable with her great decorations, food, outfits, happiness, and love.  

My mom gives.
On one sleepy morning in the middle of this semester, my dear friend, Emily, informed me that she had a dream that my mom drove up to our apartment to "give us our Wednesday treats." This dream was hilarious because that's not even too far out for my mom. She would drive an hour just to bring us treats. In fact when I told my mom about Emily's dream, her response was "oh how cute! Next Wednesday I'm definitely bringing you treats!" My mom loves to give presents. It's adorable how excited she gets about it. She is always giving people beautiful things, and always knows just what to get. She is so generous and kind. She spends her birthday giving gifts to other people. 

My mom is extremely Christ-like. 
It is so fitting that her name is "Christine." My mom truly rejoices in the Lord, Jesus Christ. She finds her light through Him and exudes it through her ceaseless generosity and creative kindness. She loves Him and testifies of the true meaning of Christmas through His spirit. 

She is my sugar plum fairy.

Happy Birthday, Mama. 

3 comments:

  1. You write beautifully Jessica! What a wonderful message about your amazing mom! Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a well deserved and beautiful tribute to your Mom! You are a good writer. I love to read your posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your mom, and all the good she does in her beautiful way. It's so fun to read your tribute!

    ReplyDelete